Background and History
Yester Castle was originally built in 1297, for Sir Hugo Gifford, who the locals thought to be a wizard. It was said he made a pact with the devil, promising sanctuary to his followers.
The castle stands on the top of a steep sided triangular piece of land, where two rivers meet. It was originally built as a keep.
Underneath the remaining masonry lies the famous subterranean Goblin Hall, supposedly built by mysterious forces. It is the basement vault of the original rectangular keep.
The Keep was illegally occupied by the English in 1308 and when the Scots reclaimed it, they flattened it to ground level in accord with King Robert the Bruce’s policy to make castles unusable by the English.
The castle was abandoned in 1557 by the owner at the time, William Hay. The castle was then used as a local quarry and over time, masonry got swept away by the water in the surrounding moat. It now lies in ruin, very little of the original castle can be seen.
The castle is now under the care of Historic Scotland
TorchesEMF meters (single and triple scan)
Dry, windy. 15 o C
We arrived at the ruins around mid afternoon. Finding the entrance to the ruins proved more difficult than we thought as the obvious entry points are locked. We eventually found an unlocked entrance.
The entrance is definitely 'goblin' size as we had to walk almost doubled over.
We took base temperature readings in the entrance tunnel and in the high vaulted hall. Both registered 15 o C. We also took base EMF readings. We left an EVP recorder in the Hall and another halfway down the tunnel staircase. An IR motion detector was placed at the bottom of the tunnel steps.
The main hall is suprisingly tidy and well maintained. We noticed a number of large stones had been arranged into a seating area surrounding a fire pit and a pile of boulders piled up in one corner.
Opposite the entrance tunnel is the tunnel leading down to the cellar.
The steps down are very steep and dangerous due to the crumbling stonework. The tunnel gets smaller as you go down further and is partially blocked by debris. Water lies at the bottom of the steps, making it difficult to investigate further. The temperature dropped quite dramatically but this could be due to geological factors. Whilst taking photographs on the steps, we noticed a fine mist in the air, undoubtedly due to the atmospheric conditions rather than paranormal activity.
Temperature readings were taken in the Hall at regular intervals and we found the temperature increased to 19 o C within 30 minutes. The temperature then remained constant for the rest of our investigation.
Throughout the investigation there was no change in the atmosphere and no noises were heard. EVP recorders revealed nothing captured and our motion detector was not triggered. There was no response to vocal communications. By the end of the investigation there had been no activity registered on the EMF meters.
No paranormal activity registered during the investigation.
One of the photographs shows an anomaly due most probably to dust particles.
Photograph taken just before we left - Look at the bottom left of the archway, this fine mist was visible to the naked eye but was merely a result of low temperature and moisture.
© Spectre 2004